Thursday, December 13, 2007


We're lost, every one of us.

One of the themes of Advent, as I've been reading, is just how sinful a lot has been cast for us. Reading through some of the traditional Advent passages this week from Amos, Revelation, and Matthew, is leaving me in a pretty dark place. But I think I finally got it this morning.

As I look forward with anticipation to our break from routine around here at Olivet, celebrating Christmas my family, Kelli's 21st birthday, and Terry and my trip to California, there is much to look forward to.

But scripture is reminding me today that in all my anticipation of what the holiday and Christmas break brings to me and our family, and to all of us, without our receiving the Gift, we are lost. Lost to ourselves (which is really scary), lost in our search for meaning and purpose, lost in our ability to love and forgive, and ultimately lost in our search for God.

So, what's the good news in that? It's that we don't have to look. That's the story of Christmas; he sought us, he came after us, he looked for and He found us.

So, if your world on this day is dark and bleak, know that God still seeks. If you have a sense of how lost you are, know today that God is finding you. If you can't seem to find your way out of the situation life has thrown at you, either because of your will or the imposition of another's, know that in that there is hope, forgiveness, and the ability to forgive.

It's never too dark, we're never too lost, we're never beyond hope, and if we're at the end of our rope, He throws us another in the shape and form of a baby.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: