Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Well, we spent the day listening to the sounds of students leaving campus. They are heading literally all over the world for Christmas. Joshua is going to Ethiopia. Hector is going to Mexico. They are going to Great Britain, Canada, Virginia, Florida, Colorado, Ohio, and some even to Bourbonnais.

Home. Going home. There's something special about going home, or at least there should be.

I've also been reminded that there are some going home, who would rather stay. Home is painful for them; a place of failure and lost innocence; a place of abuse and heartache; home. My heart breaks for you, and it makes me more grateful for what I have.

What does home mean for me? It's where my family is. What does Christmas mean to me? Ove the years it's been things like marathon video watching; snowmobiling; dominoes; breakfast casserole; yeast rolls; sleep; cinnamon rolls; Dutch Blitz; snow; food; sleep; family; remembering; mourning; living; sleep. Christmas for me is all those things rolled into one. This year should be no different.

This year it's Christmas in Michigan; Kelli's 21st birthday; San Diego, California; visiting Paul and Rosetta in Livermore, CA; a 5-day drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to Ventura; Big Sur; Redwoods; whale-watching; sunshine; expecting the unexpected; driving a convertible for the first time in my life; back to San Diego; BCS National Championship game; meetings; then finally home for another semester.

My Holiday's are full and rich. A time for family; a time for friends; a time to play; a time to remember; a time to reflect.

Let's get going!

No comments: