Wednesday, December 05, 2007


The Golden Compass

I was in conversation today with a friend about this movie, and the stir it is creating within the Christian community. To boycott or not to boycott, that is the question; or it seems.

Well, I've not read this story, and you might offer some correction or help, but my understanding is that it is written by an outspoken Athiest, who as he leads us through the narrative, eventually takes us to a garden, where in the closing scene the children in the story kill God. That isn't contained in this movie, but is eventually where the story leads. I realize this is an understated synopsis, but is what this movie and the greater story is about.

Here is a couple of my thoughts

First, I don't think as someone who believes in a God who is active in this life, my life more personally, and throughout history, that this story should become something I need to fear. I kind of throw it into the same camp as the Divinci Code, where I want to be a part of the dialogue, so I'll probably go see it. But there is a difference between this and Brown's work.

What is that difference? My second observation, is we do need to realize that the author of this is unapologetic as to what he believes. Parents need to draw your own caution in that. This is not fiction to him, but it is his systematic theology, if I may say it that way. Sure, you will find the book, and most likely the movie, labeled as fantasy, but it isn't fantasy to the author. He doesn't believe in God, so that would logically lead to His death, especially His (God) being killed by children. Isn't that the ultimate, the child will lead us again, by killing off a weak, feeble, irrelevant concept of a "god". Therefore, I am, or better said, humanity is the ultimate expression of the created order, the evolutionary process, and in full control.

It is a message that will ring true in our post-Christian society. It will tickle the ears of those longing to be their own god. It will remove our need for the "crutch" that God has provided for us, and throwing it away, we will find ourselves truly free, again. The movie will be praised not only for it's technological genius, but for it's celebration of humanity, and it's ability to do whatever it puts it's mind to.

Like you, I will wait to see what is said about the themes to this story, especially by the secular press. What will be seen as the source of hope, tenderness, love, and compassion for others? Where will forgiveness, mercy, or even justice come from? I ask those quesitons because my experience with humanity is there is nothing within any of us that allow that to flow naturally. I, we, need help.

So, I'm not afraid of this movie. It's really nothing new, just a new form. Sure, some will buy into it's conclusion; not me. Because I know personally the giver of hope.

2 comments:

Nexuszen said...

well put.

Jeremy said...

great insight