Sunday, January 18, 2009

"We're all Ethnic"

This week I was able to spend time with some good friends, who happen to represent the church I'm a member of from 20+ countries.  We are having a global convention this summer, with 10 sights all over the world in places like Manilla, Philippines; Quito, Ecuador; the Dominican Republic; to name three.  We have been experiencing growing pains the last 10 years together as we try and see each others as equal members of the church.

I don't think, or at least I don't want to think there has been anything done to make anyone feel not equal, but that would be ignorant.  Even the fact that we call everyone from outside the US when they come to this convention, "International", leaves the impression that "they" are and "we" aren't, whatever that means.  We have a room for "international delegates", where they can eat, but if you're from the US, you can't go in there.

So, I'm already thinking about this stuff spinning out of last week, and I start reading a new book called, Culture Making, and read this:

"In many American supermarkets you can still find an 'ethnic food' aisle - as if only some kinds of food participate in a particular cultural tradition.  Nonsense - all food is 'ethnic.'"

So are we, my friends, so are we.

No comments: