Friday, January 23, 2009

Shaping Culture with Language

Call me slow, but this week has just raised my awareness concerning the way we shape culture and belief around how we use, or misuse, language.  

Much of what someone believes can be quickly misrepresented by the way we use language.  I was made aware of that the last two days as I listened to the language on TV regarding Sanctity of Life week.

This week is typically the week that those who are pro-life, or against choice depending on your side of the argument, try and raise awareness of the tragic practice in our world called abortion.  It's a practice that has been around for centuries, not just since Rowe vs. Wade, and one that has strong opinions represented from both sides.

One of the issues I see with this whole discussion is how we label each other in the process of working through it as a society and world.  For instance, have you noticed that if your position on this is pro-life, the other side labels you against choice.  If you are pro-choice in your position, the other side labels you pro-abortion.  I hear a difference in the language that tends to place the chosen position in a place, and representing a position they might not want to represent. 

Maybe someone who would be pro-choice, would argue that they aren't pro-abortion, they just believe that "every person has the right to choose what they do with their body."  They might state that, while at the same time counseling against abortion in favor of other options, but having the fundamental belief that it is ultimately the persons choice.

If the shoe is on the other foot, and someone is pro-life, they are seen not only as anti-abortion, but anti-choice and anti-liberty (I didn't list one more here to express a bias, its just the way I see it).  Again, this same person might be stating their belief in the sanctity of life, while honoring the God-given freedom that we all have to make choices, even though, from my perspective, they may be destructive and harmful.  These are the kind of choices that are made every day in every realm of life.

The problem I see in these arguments, is there is cruelty on both sides.  One believes in procedures performed even late in the third trimester, while others are exercising their "rights" by blowing up clinics where abortions take place.  Every position has it's extremes that doesn't necessarily represent the argument accurately.  Language and story not only influence how we are perceived, but also how we are shaped as people and as a society.

For me, I write today a firm believer in the right to life, for everyone.  After yesterday's chapel message, it's even clearer to me why I am this way.  If I can quote my friend, "I am pro-life because I believe in a God who redeems bad situations and makes good out of them, regardless. There is nothing that has been done that is too bad for God to redeem."  He then led us through the stories of Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, and Bathsheeba.  

I encourage you to check out the message I'm talking about.  This doesn't do justice to the shape and spirit of our service yesterday  It's the chapel from Thursday, January 22.  You can get the podcast on Olivet's web sight.  

I want to give a shout out to Dr. Q, and his conviction to speak the truth.  I know what you might be thinking, "who's truth".  Again, there's that "language" thing.  I realize we all hear different things for different reasons when words are spoken.  I get that, but I encourage you to give it a listen.  Ask God to open your heart and ears to what He is saying through this servant and his Word.  If our culture is shaped by language and story, then this is the story I choose to be shaped by.

Thanks Q!

P.S.  Do you think we can find this restaurant with the "dancing sandwiches?"

No comments: