Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Something to remember. . .


I have a good friend who commented on one of the posts, saying that he hopes our "standards" are always founded on scripture and not on the opinions of man.

I agree, but it's impossible to get away from our "opinion".  I want what I believe to be based on sound interpretation of Scripture, but it's my interpretation.  That's why it's important that we do this in community, with the best, albiet not always the safest place, being the church.  I need to work this out with your help.  I need accountability, I need friendship, I need correction, I need your insight.  That can only happen in community.

Let's not fool ourselves into thinking there is a perfect place for that to happen.  If you read church history, there has possibly never been a time when that was done "perfectly".  Ever read Galatians or Corinthians.  That's the church, the church many of us say we'd like to "go back" to. Not the church at its best and/or worst, its just the church.

The church is messy because the church is you and me.  There have been times in its history when it was more institutional and mechanistic, read its history.  There have been times when it was less forgiving, read its history.  There have been times when it was more violent, read its history.  There have been times when they way Scripture was interpreted was downright scary. I don't want to lose perspective on what the church is and what its gone through.  The church is what it is, ours.  Ours to love, ours to change, ours to pray for, ours to live within, ours to cry over, ours to own.  Its us.

I want to remember today that humanity will always be a part of the church, as long as we are. So because of that, there will be times we don't get it right.  There will be times we fail.  There will be times we have to seek forgiveness.  There will be times we need to redefine ourselves. But we cannot survive as people of faith, without the church.  Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark for your post!

Together, community, ours, we. These are all words that make up "the church" and how active Kingdom builders need to remember to continuously define "the church" to those we share with.

Church is not an icon but an image, an image that each Christ follower and lover must reflect.

Great Blog. Keep it up, PLEASE!