Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I hate that sound!

Well, I recently lost my battle to remain out of a chair that I don't like to sit in; the dentist chair. It's one of the areas I'd rather not have to maneuver in my life. It's complicated by the fact that my brother-in-law is one, you know, one of those guys. I'm always afraid of what will be found, I'd almost rather live without knowing.

So, last week, I went. It was a rainy, gloomy, cold, damp day. Just the kind of day it should have been when you're going to the dentist, at least, that's how I think. Now my dentist is a great guy, and the ladies who work with him are just as nice. It's just, that sound. I hate that sound.

Probably not the one you're thinking of, I'm not referring to the drill. Thankfully there was no enamel and decay being drilled into while I was there. It's that sound of scraping off the plaque. The sound of metal against bone. It makes me weak in the knees to think about it as I write. It's a sound that keeps me out of the chair, to be honest with you. And when the sound deadens, sticking to the "soft spot", that makes you want to jump out of the chair, oh you all know what I mean.

Well, the first time in 5 years found me cavity-free. Nothing showed up on the x-rays. My fillings seem to be holding up. The only thing I was told was to go a little easier on my gums. The scrubbing only weakens the enamal that's left on my teeth. But the result is I feel better about my mouth, the floss goes through easier, and I'm using a softer brush.

Now, that wasn't that bad, was it. So what do you think happened when I went home; Terry asked me if I'd scheduled my next appointment. Are you kidding?!?! Give me a break! A week to recover, please.

It probably won't be five years before I go again, I'm sure of that. But I'm not looking to go back next month either.

What's next for me; can you say colonoscopy?

No comments: