Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Being a Kid

I remember early on my faith being shaped by things that I'm not sure were really all that important.  You know, or maybe you don't; stuff like not being able to go see Jungle Book when I was in the third grade because it was in the theater (sorry mom).  I remember what that town was like, and I remember what the church was like.  There were a lot of people doing a lot of things because they thought they were the right things to do.  No one was permanently scarred because of what we were doing, or maybe better said, what we weren't doing; at least I didn't think so at the time.  I don't think we were legalistic, we were just doing what people did.

It wasn't long after this when my dad moved to another church in another town, and not because he wanted to, or because he felt God was moving him, but because his superior thought he was ready and it would be a "good move" for him.  Well, let me tell you, it wasn't good for any of us. So, what was I supposed to make of that?

Well, one is that I grew up.  For reasons I'm not sure I'll ever fully understand, I was never one to question whether God existed.  I never really wanted my life to be without God.  Not sure whether that was driven by my strong sense of hell (after all, I did grow up in the Thief in the Night era), or whether I was afraid of my dad finding out, or whether I just had an incredible sense of who God was at a young age, and never wanted to walk away from that.  That sounds good, let's go with that.

At any rate, the things that happen to you when your young shape you, never leave.  Sometimes for the good, and sometimes for the not-so-good.   

You know one thing I realize, reflecting on what it was like for me to be a kid, is that I grew up in an era when our parents understood that part of their role was to protect us from what might harm us.  They were stern, you bet.  But it was for my own good, at least that's what they told me, and I think I believe them.  Using discipline for protection; sounds like sound advice to me.  Not a bad picture of God either, is it?

Thanks mom. 

No comments: