Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Hats, hot dogs, and new friends

Our Last Night in Brazil

This is my friend, a pastor from northern Brazil. The first day he was at the camp, he had this really cool hat on. He was told I thought it was cool, and at the last service, he gave it to me. Again, putting the unbelievable generous spirit of the people down here on display. It's a traditional hat worn by them to keep their head cool, because where they live it is exceptionally hot. He if from the same part of the country where the girls who led worship with hats, gloves and winter coats on when it was 65 degrees outside. Cracked me up. Thanks Pastor, love the hat!

Had a great day. Went shopping in a little town called Petreira, known for their glass, and man did we shop. I have some pics, but will have to post them later, I'm having problems downloading them from the memory card. Technology.

Back to the shopping. Terry kept saying that we didn't want to take any of our money back with us, and I think she about kept her word. It was just another fun, relaxing day. I'm really glad we stayed around for another 3 days.

The evening was just as much fun, and now I'm working with Alex to get his blog set up so Toni's family can keep up with the what for here, and we will be able to as well. Writing this while he's playing with his.

How did I spend my last night in Campinas? Well, we went to church, ate prendado dogenos, pressed hot dogs. They basically take two hot dogs, and a whole bunch of ingredients, smash them together, and cook them like a calzone. Mine was stuffed with chili, except down here it's shredded beef, unbelievable. Another 10:00 dinner, again, more unbelievable. I've eaten later here, more nights in row, than I can ever remember doing before. We eat and laughed together, having an absolute blast. Tonight I was there with Alex, Gary Hartke, Walmir and his wife Daisy, Lico, Maria, and Pastor Pedro. We ate dogs, drank guarana, and told stories. I'm so glad that we were able to come to this place, and already can't wait until we can come back.

This is probably my last blog from Brazil. I'm meeting with the administrator from the new university down here, eating lunch, and then we have to get on the bus around 4:00 to head for the airport in Sao Paulo. Our flight leaves at 9:00 tomorrow night, or I guess that's later tonight where I presently sit. We arrive in New York at 6:00a, fly through Cincinnati, and then land in Indy around 2:30. The 2 hour drive home should be a blast after spending that much time in the air. I'll get you caught up on our flight as soon as I recover.

I'll recover from the flight, but meeting these people is something I hope I never recover from. Thanks Alex, Toni, Gabbi, and Becka. Like you said Alex, you're stuck with us. Thanks also to Tiago, Rachel, Lico, Debroah, Chris, Daniella, Alexandre, and all our other Brazilian friends for making this one of the best 10 days of our lives. We hope to see you again real soon.


No comments: