Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Day 3, Campinas and NYC

It's been an interesting couple of days here in Campinas. Today we went shopping in the local mall, and it was like any mall in California, you go inside to be outside. The jewelry was really inexpensive, so Terry had a blast, and our girls will benefit.

Last night I went to my first prayer and deliverance service at Central Church. It was like nothing I've ever seen before. 2800 people on a Tuesday night, singing the praises of God, an anointing service, followed by a deliverance service, and then an invitation for new believers. There were testimonies read of answered prayers and miracles, with God being praised for his working in the lives of his people.

The anointing I've seen, the deliverance I've only heard about. When I walked into the church, a half hour before the service, there were people scattered all over the sanctuary, on their knees, praying for a move of God in that service. Their prayers were answered. When the time for the prayer of deliverance came, they called people forward to be freed from disease, illness, addictions, witchcraft, demons, etc. This was an incredible time of prayer, with people brniging their cigarettes, cocaine, crystals, and other periphenalia related to their cult worshipforward for deliverance. It was an incredible move of the spirit.

These people pray. These people sing with a passion I'm not sure I've ever seen. They believe in freedom in the spirit. It reminded me of stories my dad used to tell of what would happen in his church when he was growing up. I'm challenged regarding my prayer life because of these incredible people, our brothers and sisters in Christ. They are making me a better person.

On a lighter note for my friends back home. It was probably 65 tonight at the opening service to their NYC, and everything is open air down here. The service was in a building, but open to the outside. I wish you could have seen how the worship team, most of whom live north of here, near the equator in northwest Brazil, were dressed. Winter coats, hats, and mittens while leading worship. I couldn't help but laugh, as I long for evenings that are 65, while here they freeze. It was 80 here today, sunny, and clear as a bell. I was in short sleeves tonight, soaking the whole thing up, watching my friends almost freeze to death. Life down here is good.

The pao de queso (cheese bread) isn't to bad either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.