Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 1, Campinas

We arrived this morning at around 7:20, an hour late, after a long night of trying to get my legs to fit on those blasted plane seats so I could sleep. Exhaustion finally won out around 1:00a, and I don't remember anything until breakfast was in my lap around 6:45a.

No pics today, just a day of meeting new friends, and reacquainting ourselves with old ones. It's always great to meet the spouse of my friends, and today Terry and I got to meet Toni, Alex's wife. She is a gracious host, almost 8 months along with her third pregnancy. I'd be in trouble if I didn't mention meeting Becka and Gabby as well, their 6 and 4-year-old daughters, cute as buttons, and remind me of two other young ladies we know well.

Our day started by our meeting Vanderloci and Loche (I'm sure I absolutely butchered the spelling), the two that picked us up from the airport, and long-time friends of Alex. We were relieved to find that Loche spoke very good English. We ate breakfast at Flango Appossa, which means grilled chicken. It was very good. Fango Appossa is kind of like a truck stop, except clean. You ate right at the counter, and they also sold bread, and it was kind of like a mini mart. The food was really tasty.

I'm going with Alex tonight to their young adult service, 7:30-10:00. He is the young adult pastor at Campinas Central Church of the Nazarene, they run 12,000 every week. It's the largest church in our denomination, and I'm excited to be attending a service at this exciting church. Later this week I'll be joining students and young adults from all over South America for their NYC. It's a real privilege to be here.

Check back for pics later this week. Oh, by the way, it's winter here, today the high was 78! Rough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it there safely. Praying for you this week & hoping you continue to have a safe & wonderful time. Looking forward to the pictures! Love to you & Terry!