Friday, April 04, 2008

Coming Together


"It is when what we have in conflict is dominant,
that what we have in common must be emphasized."


This quote is taken from Mike Slaughter's blog, the pastor of Ginghamsburg UMC, from an e-mail he received. It's a great church, and he is a better pastor, digging his heals into a community over 20 years ago, and with God's help, building a church that community needed. I lived 5 minutes from that church for 4 years, and never attended. Why should I? They were the large church in the area to be contended with, you know? I feel like I have little to add to that with his 20+ years of living in the same community I chose to remain in for only 4.

This quote is responding to the many words being said about Obama's pastor and the words he has chosen, or at least the words of his that are being quoted.

In light of this, I'm reflecting on my own church, and our present search for a pastor. A church that is struggling for identity, direction, and a future, I guess not too unlike many churches of our day. I'm just wondering if this quote can become true for the 1200 or so that call my church their home.

In the search for a new pastor, will we draw our battle lines in the sand, coming up with how we define what "church" is, or will we focus on what we have in common? Will our differences become our undoing, or draw us together in an expression of our need for the other? Can I ever again in the church acknowledge that my needs are different from yours, and have us be okay with the differences? That's just about us; what is the message the community hears in the midst of our identity crisis?

My prayer is that we will lay down our swords and come together. Admit that we really aren't all that different from one another. I'm praying for my pastor, whomever that may be. I have my opinion of who that should be, but believe that maybe God knows better than my own selfish desire. Lord, help us all!

No comments: