Monday, November 05, 2007


Today, I rant.

Okay, today, I rant. Hope that's okay, but I'm tired of some things.

I'm tired of those who in the name of corporate holiness and fighting systemic evil, forget the other spheres they live in; those being of personal and social holiness. Where is the ethic in that?

I'm tired of those who, in the name of identifying with the poor, in their vow of so-called poverty, forget the chaste life that we are also called to and take on some of the same vices that the poor are victimized by. When we no longer live lives different than those we are trying to identify with, in order to understand them, what is left to call them to? (Not trying to sound legalistic, because I don't think I am, just trying to find somewhere to stand.)

I'm tired of those who have no perspective on life, criticizing what they don't understand. What does a 22-year-old know, really?

I'm tired, and running out of patience, with young "ministers" who while trying to instill change in the church, compromise their own integrity in the same church that they are called to serve. Licensing and ordination are not rights, they are privileges. Until we decide collectively to change, isn't it a compromise to your personal integrity if you choose to participate in what the church says not to? Is there no authority in the church anymore?

What does lie within us? What is our make-up? Who are we, anyway? Help me, because sometimes, I just don't know!

"Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful." (1 Cor. 4:2)

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Great insight, Mark. Especially loved this quote:

"I'm tired of those who have no perspective on life, criticizing what they don't understand. What does a 22-year-old know, really?"

I fight this every day. It's hard to live life in perspective as a college student here at Olivet. I completely agree with your quote and am often embarrassed by my peers who often cry out (with no fear of the consequences) these opinions about things they know nothing about. I hadn't tied that back to personal holiness, although now the more I think about it, the more I see this as a holiness issue.

At YS last year, Chuck Bomar gave an "equation" for the average college student:

Knowledge - Experience = Arrogance

This is why I'm leaving Facebook. I don't want to expose myself to the arrogance found by my peers and I want to eliminate the temptation to participate in said arrogance.

Would love to talk further with you about this. Pray for me please.

Chris Bean said...

An occasional rant does the heart good!

I feel your frustration. This is an interesting spiritual climate within which to exercise any kind of ministry leadership.

I can imagine how the challenge would increase on a campus since in this climate arrogance does seem to "rain!"

Anonymous said...

Uh, oh....

Did you hear about my dancing when the buckeyes won? ;-)