Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Closing the gap.

Technology is amazing. In my home, we are discovering a new way to use technology; the web camera.

Just getting back from Killeen, I was pained with the realization that I won't get to see Brayden, er, and Kristin and Luke, until our spring break in March. As much as Brayden has changed in the five weeks between our previous visits, I can't imagine how much he will change over the next 3 1/2 months. Sooo, we decided to do something about it, and invest in web cameras for our computers. That was our Christmas gift to Luke and Kristin. I'm sure they knew there was no ulterior motive on our part, at all!

I can't begin to tell you how much fun it is to see and hear Brayden via the internet (Kristin and Luke too); thank you to MAC, Microsoft, Dell, and Al Gore, for bringing this new age to us. It will create some incredible moments for us as we sit and talk with our daughter, son-in-law, and grandson, helping to close the distance a little between Bourbonnais and Ft. Hood, Texas.

I love technology; most times.

Looking at the title of this blog caused me to reflect on the fact that again, that is what advent is about; God closing the gap. I use a web camera, but His way was much more sacrificial and meaningful; it's times like this I'm frustrated by the limitation of language in trying to express something so profound.

I recognize today that it was by his initiation, that he took the risk to send his son, with no guarantee of our response, yet did it anyway. God coming to where we are.

Going to Texas is one thing, it could even be called a gift. But man, what a greater gift we have been given. I don't want to ever take it for granted.

P.S. Fred, and all others concerned about my XM radio battles; I lost the battle on the way down, but listened to football all the way home. So we'll consider this one a draw.

No comments: