Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Little Brother Living

I'm prepping for my first message as chaplain, and have been living within the 15th chapter of Luke. The story of the prodigal God is an amazing story, and so I thought I'd just share some of my thoughts from it over the next couple of weeks as I'm challenged by the text.

I'm sure many of you are aware of the implications of this text, so I will spare you all the details, but want to focus on the dangers inherent for me that I'm realizing from my reading and study. I see some of me in the text. This text is really about heart, what it is that motivates me.

Little bro living, if I can call it that, is more than a story about a very indulgent, irresponsible kid, because I find some of him in me.

I remember when my dad was first diagnosed with cancer, living with the reality that not only was his tumor inoperable, but his life wouldn't last more than a year, short of a miracle. We were all reeling from this news, and its in moments like these that people say all kinds of things, most of which we can shake our heads at; except this one.

A well-meaning person, at least that's what I'll call them for the sake of argument, went to visit my dad in the hospital. In the course of their conversation, they proceeded to tell my dad that the reason he contracted cancer, was because there was unconfessed sin in his life. Well, my dad didn't know how to respond. He took that persons name to the grave with him, telling me this story without revealng who that person was. Where do statements like that come from?

I want to call it a result of little bro living, from this perspective. Too often in the church, we base our faith on our experience; did it feel good, was it pleasureable, do I feel better or worse about myself, does this confirm the life I live. etc. I'm not talking about sensuality, as much as I'm talking about a form of emotionalism that has invaded our churches. Maybe it's behind some of the worship wars that we find ourselves in, or the reason we respond to some preaching the way we do. I find myself too often complaining because the music wasn't my worship language, or the preaching was less then desirable for me.

It even translates into our thinking that our life should be without pain, sorrow, and struggles. I must admit some anger when my dad wasn't healed of his cancer. Why are some people, and he wasn't. My dad didn't deserve this, but in reality, who does?

I've heard it said that if I pay my tithe, that God can be tested and will never leave me wanting anything. Oh really? Or I've based how real my faith is on what I feel. Or I've believed that if God wants me to do something, it would "feel" a certain way. I've also believed that if we are sick, it's indicative of another issue in our lives, because God certainly wouldn't allow us to be sick if all was well.

Really? The Elmer Gantry's are alive and well in the church today, and people still flock to them. Don't think so, watch some religious TV, and that will take care of that.

There is an old Saturday Night live skit now, at least two years, where the answer for every problem, was just to "fix it". I've joked about that with friends, but I think we have allowed that to become a part of our personal theology, where we think God is just the great "fixer" in the sky. He is there to make me feel good, to meet my every need, and if I don't feel good, to fix what doesn't feel good, so all is good again.

Little bro living.

I don't want my faith to be based just on what or how I feel. Maybe for Wesley, that's why scripture is primary, and experience is secondary. I certainly don't want to fall into the same trap the little brother does, thinking it's about me, my wants, my desires, and getting what feels right at the moment. I'm glad there is another way.

No comments: