Thursday, June 12, 2008

What are we doing with sin?

"Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires." Romans 6:12

There is a lot of debate in our culture today concerning what is and isn't sin. The debate is also alive and well in the church. Again, I think we are asking the wrong set of questions. I read an excerpt today from Foster's book, The Freedom of Simplicity, and I'd like to share it with you. He says:

"Thomas Merton writes in the introduction to his Wisdom of the Desert, 'Society. . .was regarded by the Desert Fathers as a shipwreck from which each single individual man has to swim for his life.'"

He goes on to say, "They were seeking to revive true Christian devotion and simplicity of life by intense renunciation. Their experience has particular relevance, because modern society is uncomfortable like the world that they attacked so vigorously. Their world asked, 'How can I get more?' The Desert Fathers asked, 'What can I do without?' Their world asked, 'How can I find myself?' The Desert Fathers asked, 'How can I lose myself?' Their world asked, 'How can I win friends and influence people?' The Desert Fathers asked, 'How can I love God?'"

Sound familiar?

3 comments:

Matt Morrison said...

The idea of sin is an overwhelming topic, because it is so easy to get caught up in black, white, and gray and not the heart of the matter. The heart of the matter is the separation from our Holy and Gracious Father. I think the idea Merton is bringing up is that the desert fathers sought the positives of God's relationship, rather than dwelling on the lack of negatives. What I mean is that when we debate the definition of sin, in reality, we may be trying to figure out what we can and cannot get away with. Instead there is a call in the faith to search the heart of the Almighty. To know Him, which can only be experienced through the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 2). Our salvation is not a matter of sin, but a matter of grace. That God in the flesh became our remedy to sin, But went even further to invite us into a journey that can only be experienced in His presence and in His grace. Salvation is not an object to be received in a one-time event. Rather as Paul describes it, it is a journey to be 'worked out'. It is life. The good news is that we can have victory of sin, however it is defined, through the power and presence of God's Spirit in and through us. All this is for His glory, not ours. Thus, worship.

By the way... love ya Mark. Glad to read the good stuff in your blog. Keep it up...

Oldyuthguy said...

I agree Matt, and I think that is the point I was trying to make; if we would focus on our relationship with God, some of the personal issues and issues in the church would probably melt away.

Matt Morrison said...

Absolutely Mark, I am and was in totally agreement. I didn't mean to sound opposing, just wanted to add to the discussion. More to the matter, I guess its just a round about way to let you know that I'm still alive and well. Miss ya bud...