Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Team Bubba 2007

Went hunting this weekend in northern Michigan, and had a lot of time to reflect. In years past, there have been anywhere from 8-11 guys hunting the same weekend, and for a variety of reasons this year, there were only two, my brother-in-law and myself.

Nothing personal Chris, cause we had a blast. And it was much more relaxing this year than in others years, mostly because there was a lot of down time, and not near the emotional energy spent on time with friends. Got to lay around a lot, watch the world series, Ohio State beat up on Penn State, Detroit beat the Bears (what's going on in the world?), track a deer, and spend a lot of time thinking in the woods.

Why do I go back there? It is becoming more and more rare to come home with deer, so why hunt there as opposed to other places where the hunting might be more successful. For today, the reason is pretty simple; memories.

For 15 years, we've been hunting in the same place. The picture of this plow represents the hard work that went into being there at times; planting clover and rye fields, hanging tree stands for gun season, putting up fence and property markings, building the cabin that provides running water, electricity, and gas heat, which were some of the things lacking the first couple years when things were much more rustic, to say the least.

Memories.

This is where my dad built a tree stand the summer before he passed away, and was never able to hunt from. I have; shot a deer out of there the fall after he died. Cried up there, wishing he was sitting in that spot and not me. He built that thing to last, and I'm sure will outlive all of us; that sucker is not going anywhere.

Memories.

These benches are empty this year, but are a place we have set before as a group around a fire, telling stories, making hobo pies, and laughing together about the one that we missed, or celebrating the one we were able to find.

Memories.

Deer camp for me isn't just about the hunt; it's about friends. That's why I keep going back. I hope my friends are able to fill these seats next year.

No comments: