Thursday, September 20, 2007


Okay, here I am again,

So much for ordinary days. If you're familiar with what's happening at Olivet at all, you know what I'm talking about. I don't have the time or desire to unpack everything going on, except to say the debate between science and faith is alive and well. It's made me think. . .

I wonder, is this really about science and faith, or more about authority. I'm not trying to denigrate either side. It's just that I've noticed in our culture no one wants to be called to account for anything anymore. Is that too general, well it's how I feel.

If, when I was growing up, I had a disagreement with my father in the area of discipline, dad won. That's a picture of authority for me, not one of abuse, although I realize there are stories involving that as well, and I hope you will extend enough grace to me understanding I know the difference between authority and abuse. I understood my father loved me and ultimately wanted what's best for me. I trusted him to have my best interest at heart.

So, do we have an authority problem? Is the student who was removed from the forum with John Kerry no longer needing to be respecting of the authorities that live in all our communities to keep the civil peace? It used to be that parents would back up the discipline a school levied against a student not following proper guidelines, support the discipline of their student-athlete, that is less the norm anymore. Okay, maybe I'm naive, or do we have an authority problem?

I'm just asking; is there no one to hold me accountable for what I claim to believe? When what I believe is questioned, am I open to correction? When correction is brought into my life from well meaning, caring people in authority over me, what do I then do? When two worlds collide, what determines who gives. In the church, is Scripture still in it's proper place, or are other things dictating to us who God is, what he looks like, and how we relate to each other?

Now, it may sound like it, but I don't worship the Bible, and don't like being labeled a fundy because my faith at times is simple. I do believe what it teaches us about God, though. I don't always get it right, and I know you don't either, I'm just wondering if this is an issue of authorty?

Faith and Science will continue to clash. My faith may be too simple for you, but like my friend Jim Hampton says, I'm with he and Barth. Knowing I will never fully understand, when I can't fully know, God wins.

No comments: