Monday, July 19, 2010

A Day to remember about a day to forget

We spent the morning at the National Memorial in Oklahoma City where the bombing took place in 1995. Can't believe it's been 15 years. From the reflecting pool to the chairs, it an experience that I can't begin to describe here. I'll post some pics tomorrow, and let them speak for us.

It's incredible to stand between those two walls, one with a 9:01 on it, and the other with a 9:03 on it, and stand in that moment, 9:02, for as long as you can. You get lost in the scene, reading people's names on chairs, set up in rows, representing those that were killed from all 9 floors. It's an emotion I'm not sure I've experienced in a while. It's somber, with hardly anyone talking once you enter that land between the walls, where today I lived one minute for 3 hours. 9:02.

After spending 3 hours there, not even noticing that it was 98 degrees at 10:30 in the morning, we headed to Leo's Barbecue. It's located at 38th and Lincoln Ave., and let me tell you, that was some eats. We split a 1/2 pound brisket plate, with beans, macaroni salad, cole slaw, and we finished it with their classic strawberry/banana cake; to die for. I know some don't think there is barbecue outside of Kansas City, just like we think there isn't pizza outside Chicago; but let me tell you, there is some great barbecue on Oklahoma City. Check it out.

Tomorrow we head for Dallas, and Terry begins to prep for her seminar. I'm planning on attending in the evenings with her, and spending some time by the pool with a book. Look for pics from today on tomorrow's posting.

No comments: