Tuesday, January 26, 2010

So what does tweeting mean?

I don't need anyone to define what twitter is all about, I tweet, but I've just begun to wonder in the last couple of weeks what it means to tweet. Is it arrogant for me to think that you actually want to know what I'm doing every hour of every day? Is it selfish of me to promote things that I'm involved in, thinking you care too? I know what you might be thinking, that if I'm just now starting to ask these questions, then I'm really ignorant. Maybe I am.

I was caught up in the twitter craze like everyone else; I watched my followers grow; I even followed someone when I was confronted about not following him when he was following me. I'm wimpy, I know.

Like living to see everyone's facebook status changing on the live feed isn't enough, now I tweet. And as you well know, it's much more than just a "status update". Here's what happens in my twitter world.

I know when someone is hunting, when someone is at the driving range, when someone is in class, working on their resume, in an accident, or taking their kids to swimming lessons. But I also know when someone is publishing a new book, speaking about the new book being published, blogging about what they said at a speaking engagement about the book they're publishing, and talking on the radio about their blog, where they write about a time they spoke to a group from a new book they are publishing. Oh, by the way, his book is coming out in March.

I'm just not sure what tweeting means anymore. Is it purely self-promotion in its various forms, be it talking through various mediums about your book, or just letting someone know you just got off the toilet. Do I really want to know that?

I was scolded this week for tweeting while driving, which in my state is against the law, and they were right, I was tweeting while driving, thereby breaking the law. (Glad Terry doesn't read this, and if you're her friend on facebook, don't write on her wall, this will be our little secret, 'cause I guarantee you, I'm not tweeting about this blog, although maybe more people would read my blog if I tweeted about it; and then maybe I could write a book, and speak on a radio station about the time I spoke at a university about what the book I was thinking about writing, that I'm sure would be published, and then I'd have something to really blog about, huh?).

See what I mean. So, what does tweeting mean anyway? Man, do I feel better.

Thanks for reading, and, er, would you tell someone about this, maybe even tweet my blog address so they will start reading more of what I write. That would really make me feel good about myself and the time I just spent writing this blog.

Hey, that'll tweet! And it's less than 115 characters (or whatever that number is), yahtzee. See you in twitterland.

3 comments:

mom said...

For some reason I'm having to write this again - so if it is done twice chalk it up to it just being your mother. Anyway - glad you're back blogging. And confession is good for the soul, especially if it means a change in behavior - which is what you will be doing regarding texting and driving, right? Love ya, mom

Leslie said...

you kill me mark. ha.

Leslie said...

http://www.stickycomics.com/twitter-bird-fail-whale/