Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Concerned Nazarene

I just went to the web sight called, Concerned Nazarenes. I have heard a lot about it from friends, and wanted to go there to form my own sense of what it was about. Not sure I was able to do that, and here is why.

I don't doubt their love and passion for the church, it is shared by me and many others I know. I'm a fourth generation member of this great group of people called Nazarenes. We all love our church, and share our indebtedness to her. Does our church have issues and problems? You bet. Doesn't make me love her any less.

I do doubt the sincerity of the dialogue, because as far as I can tell, it isn't one. There is no where to post a response to what is written without being edited out if not agreed with. The sight is quite clear that this isn't the place to "debate" emerging church issues, to post disagreement with their opinion, so my question is, what is it?

So, am I to assume that those on the Concerned Nazarene sight have the theological debate all figured out? Is this an open dialogue or closed?

Am I to assume that there is nothing good in the emerging church movement? Have you read Dallas Willard's book, Divine Conspiracy?

Am I to assume that any form of spiritual formation and Christian practice that even predates the Roman Catholic church is heretical and/or New Age? Do you realize that if it weren't for the Monastic movement, the church as we know it and the reformation might not have happened?

Am I to assume that anyone who I may disagree with doctrinally has nothing to teach me?

As one who loves my church, am forever indebted to her, and believes in heart holiness, I also believe that this is against the Reformed and Wesleyan spirit our church is built on. So, I am doing what I was directed by those on the Concerned Nazarene sight, blogging about some of my concerns as a fellow Nazarene.

I don't lay claim to having all my theology figured out, but like one of my friends likes to say, at best I'm reformed, and at the least orthodox. I don't agree with Borg's assessment of scripture either, so on that I'm with you. But I have read Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, Doug Pagitt, Tony Jones, and Dallas Williard. Do I agree with everything they say, no. Not agreeing with them doesn't diminish their place in the conversation or in the body of Christ. My hope is that as I continue to grow, listen, read, learn, that we are as gracious with "them", as they are with "us".

4 comments:

Stephen E. Foxworthy said...

Mark ~

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

It's frustrating when conversation can't be engaged effectively. I found it amusing that they had a "inspirational poster parody" in their Pictures page that read: "Dialogue - I talk. You listen." Yet they seem to be just as guilty and (seemingly) unaware.

It's difficult being a young Christian attempting to be Christ-like and engage his culture and society and make an impact for the Kingdom. If I'm honest, sites like "Concerned Nazarenes" discourage me by seeming more legalistic and holier-than-thou than concerned with making change. Change on THEIR terms, perhaps? I don't know.

It's difficult to "love thy neighbor" when "thy neighbor" is so dead-set against you in the spirit of "Christian love". But maybe that's the point.

I dunno - I'm just rambling, I suppose. Thanks for this!

~ S.

Jeremy said...

AMEN! This is spot-on.

Todd Perkins said...

Thanks Mark!

I feel the constant challenge is to process, pray, and look to scripture for where truth begins and ends.

I have learned so much from my "non-Nazarene" brothers and sisters realizing more everyday that my first love and commitment needs to always be to Jesus Christ, the Author and perfector of my faith!

Living for Jesus & loving it!

Unknown said...

mark,
you just said exactly how i feel about the concerned nazarenes in a way that i have, as of yet, not been able to without throwing things. good man.