Saturday, February 14, 2009

Whirlyball is life!


Had my first go around with some real hacks on a Whirlyball court, or whatever you call it, while in Kansas City.  One, I didn't realize that the wickets you use to throw and catch the ball should be registered weapons; thanks for teaching me the tricks of the trade Kenny. 

I also didn't realize that life lessons on power and authority play throughout this game.  You know, like once you get someone trapped in a corner, you don't let them out.  Or if someone has the ball in their wicket, you whack them with yours until you get the ball out or cut their hand off, whichever comes first.  Or when you score, you catch the ball, and keep scoring until someone rams into the back of your car, giving you whiplash, and causing you to drop the ball.  Oh, and my favorite, blood means nothing.

It's also a safe zone for saying things about and to people you probably wouldn't other wise say and do.  This isn't an activity for building community or for the faint of heart, it's all about stress relief.

So, have you played?  Are you a Whirlyball 'playa', like Tim?  Aficionado, like Kenny?  Rookie, like me?  Biggest loser, like Brooklyn?  Expert on maneuvering their car like Stu?  Passing wizard like Blair?  Scoring machine like Chad?  Or maybe a 'playa' in waiting?  Either way, I'm sure it won't be long before there are volumes of books written on this, sport?  Because like I discovered earlier this week, for some, whirlyball is life!

P.S.  I love my wife!! (it is Valentines Day, you know, and she might read this)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

whirlyball is so awesome! they have a court up in lombard, we should get some guys to go sometime!!

KarenB said...

Hey Mark, I hopped on over from your FB status. I've actually played Whirlyball in Lombard, IL also. It was so much fun! Haven't seen it anywhere else. Btw, I was really lousy at it.